2. Oak Mountain State Park is very cool venue. This is the largest state park in Alabama, Entering the park you are welcomed by beautiful lush and stunning landscape and many activities for the family. Everything from hiking, biking, water activites, golf, camping and so much more.
4. There are LOTS of hills at Oak Mountain. To add there are lots of hills in the Birmingham area. The bike course is a 12 mile out and back. You get to enjoy the hills both directions. Approximately 850 ft of elevation gain and after speeding down one hill you start climbing up another. The roads are well maintained and in good condition.
5. The race course is practically a “closed course’– it is not advertised as closed but with less than 4 cars on the road I consider that a win!
6. I completed my FIRST triathlon for 2018– YEP! Exciting for me. Starting in April with a DNS and recently 2 DNF’s for tendinitis in my foot it surely felt good to complete a race and enjoyed every minute of it.
8. Team Magic has great staff and volunteers. The staff and volunteers remind me of a well oiled machine – they got it all together from pre-race communication, well orgnanized race venue and spectacular after party. Thank you!
9. Great awards presentation. The Team Magic does not disappoint when they put on an awards ceremony. They are appreciative of the athletes that support their events and recognize first-timers, paratriathletes as well as AG and overall. I think it is cool that they use podiums for winners and the awards they give are always useful and very generous.
10. New faces on the race course. I am so accustomed to seeing familiar friends and athletes at many of the local events. I only saw 3 people I knew from the gulf coast. Most of the athletes were from surrounding Birmingham and Atlanta area. The Vulcan Tri Club from Birmingham was very well represented as athletes and volunteers. A youth elite team Multisport Explosion from Atlanta had some top notch athletes – the male OA winner was one of their athletes. I will say the SISTER Chain still has the coolest 2018 tri kits hands down.